wotino

Thursday, July 06, 2006

COMPUTERS ARE FUN BUT LAZY.


I’m having trouble with the cursor and I will curse at the cursor
which is probably how it got its name in the first place.

I have great fun inserting various animals etc but the fact is that even though its really cute having these little illustrations available at the touch of a button, it is a really lazy thing to do. Where is the struggle to get the proportions right, find the right colour, shade it so that it has roundness and depth? No struggle at all! After drawing one of these animals by hand my knowledge of the animal’s form is much more intimate, and there is a sense of achievement at a job well done. My sense of achievement now is minimal except that I now know the right button to press and my typing is getting faster. I have merely chosen this font, which is a very nice one, but I have put no effort into carefully shaping each letter by hand.
There is no doubt that this is fun, the writing will look great, there will be no smudges, scribbling out or mal-formed letters but what have I gained? What will generations of children gain from this lazy way of artistic presentation? How are they going to behave when life throws something at them that requires more than the push of a button? When undoing something takes more than the delete key? IT is here to stay but everything needs balance. Frankly the thought of active schoolgirls being sent out to lunch to communicate with each other through their laptops scares me. Where is the eye-to-eye heart-to-heart communication in that? And what about this weight problem that we Australians are developing? How is sitting at a computer all lunch remedying that? (Hang on, I’m going to play with the font colour.) Hm maybe some papyrus font would be nice.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home